There are loads of people who hate their job; the job is just a chore. Waking up and going to office makes they feel sick. They are just looking forward for the day to end the week to pass. And you may currently one of them.
Even before we start discussing what to do when you hate your job, it’s important to understand why you hate your job. I suggest that you make a list of all the things that you do not like about your job. They could be work related reasons like a difficult manager , less salary, long work hours or personal reasons like you do not like the work you do or don’t like the way company works. Some of these reasons can be managed by having a discussion with you manager / HR, but here are few things that you can do on your own to make you feel more productive and less disengaged.
- LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE: Sometimes the easiest thing to do when you are feeling disengaged at work is to focus on the positive aspects of work and how your current job is contributing to help you build the career you want. (If this does not help and you are still feeling struck, read on)
- CHALLENGE YOURSELF: Set weekly / monthly challenges for yourself. The high of achievement will help you get rid of the boredom and will also help you to add to your resume in case you have to take the ultimate decision of changing the company.
- DO SOMETHING NEW: Take on new tasks/ projects. Ask for additional responsibility at work. Be part of cross functional teams. The connection with people and the motivation that comes from doing a new thing will help you get engaged.
- DEVELOP NEW SKILLS: Instead of just looking at your current job, look at the next step in your career path. Identify the skills that are required to do that and work on developing them while working on your current job. Always remember that by developing new skills you are making yourself more valuable in your current role and improving your opportunities for your future career growth and success.
- IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UPTO ME: In the end, remember that if you are disengaged at work only YOU can do something about it. Take initiative, talk to people about your concerns, don’t just complain but work on an action plan. Time to take action is NOW.
Have you been through such a situation or are going through such a situation. Feel free to share your concerns and tips.