8 EASY TIPS TO MAKE YOUR MENTOR RUNAWAY
- Lack clarity about your own goals and expectations: If you don’t where you are going or what you want to get out of the relationship. How can your mentor help you?
- Expect to be spoon fed: As a corollary to above allow your mentor to define the goals, the road map & outcome of relationship. Make him give you guidelines and deadlines for every assignment. Ensure you never take initiative for anything.
- Prove to be unworthy of trust: Do not keep any confidentiality. Badmouth your mentor in case of things going wrong. Fail to follow through on meeting commitments.
- Be too aggressive: Act as if you have birth right claim on mentor’s time. Do not accept any constructive feedback. Do things your way even if mentor suggests some new ideas and approaches. After all how can mentor know more about your situation than you?
- Disrespect Mentors time & efforts: Do not respect mentors time, reschedule / cancel your meetings without prior intimation. Or call on him to ask for advice at any time.
- Do not learn from mistakes: Make mistakes over and over again without showing any signs of progress will have a negative impact on your mentor and will be very discouraging. Do not close the learning loop.
- Always bring problems: Always bring problems (even if they are similar to what you have faced in past) without thinking about solutions. If you mentor asks you about your perspective – stay blank. If your mentor gives you various tools that you can use to find solutions, forget about them as soon as the next problem comes.
- Steal credit: Never share credit with you mentor for things that go well. Do not even inform the mentor that you got appreciated for a task you completed with your mentors help. If possible publicize the ideas as your own.
(photo courtesy : stockimages/freedigitalphotos.net)